- how HUG Homes collects your personal information;
- the purposes for which your personal information is collected; and
- what controls you have over HUG Homes use of your personal information.
WE CARE ABOUT YOUR PRIVACY:
We will never rent, trade or sell your email address to anyone.
We may only use or disclose personal information held about you for the primary purpose for which it is collected.
We will never publicly display your email address or other personal details that identify you.
THE AUSTRALIAN PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
We will treat all personal information in accordance with any and all obligations that are binding upon us under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”). The Privacy Act lays down 13 key principles in relation to the collection and treatment of personal information, which are called the “Australian Privacy Principles”. We are committed to complying with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles to protect and safeguard your privacy when you deal with us and ensure the continued integrity and security of the personal information your entrust to HUG Homes.
WHAT IS “PERSONAL INFORMATION”?
Personal information held by the Company may include your:
- name and date of birth;
- residential and business postal addresses, telephone/mobile/fax numbers and email addresses;
- your computer and connection information; and
- any information that you otherwise share with us.
HOW WE MAY COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
At this site, we only collect personal information that is necessary for us to conduct our business as a building and construction company, establish and maintain relationships with clients and provide ongoing services.
Information that you provide to us
We may collect personal information that you provide to us about yourself when you:
- use this site, including (without limitation) when you:
- add reviews, forum or chat room messages or comments in any elements of this site that may permit user-generated content;
- register for access to premium content or request certain premium features; or
- complete an online contact form to contact us;
- provide information to us by telephone or through marketing or competition application forms; or
- send us an email or other communication.
We also collect and retain information about our affiliates, employees, contractors and sub-contractors for the purpose of conducting our business, establishing and maintaining relationships with clients and providing ongoing services.
We may also hold information, from time to time, provided by persons and companies who seek employment with, or a contractor relationship with, or are suppliers to, HUG Homes.
At or before the time any personal information is collected by HUG Homes, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of:
- who we are;
- the fact that you are able to gain access to your personal information held by HUG Homes;
- the purpose of the collection;
- the type(s) of organisations to which we usually disclose the personal information; and
- the main consequences for you if all or part of the personal information is not collected.
This site may also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. The Company collects and manages IP addresses as part of the service of providing internet session management and for security purposes. The Company may also collect and use country on access, web log, logon frequency, browsing history, computer and connection information for security purposes and to help prevent and detect any misuse of, or fraudulent activities involving, this site.
- remember your preferences for using this site;
- show relevant notifications to you (eg, notifications that are relevant only to users who have, or have not, subscribed to newsletters or email or other subscription services); and
- remember details of data that you choose to submit to us (eg, through online contact forms or by way of comments, forum posts, chat room messages, reviews, ratings, etc).
Many of these cookies are removed or cleared when you log out but some may remain so that your preferences are remembered for future sessions.
Third party cookies
In some cases, third parties may place cookies through this site. For example:
HOW WE MAY USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information may be used in order to:
- verify your identity;
- contact you;
- send direct marketing to you, where you have expressed your interest to receive such information (e.g. to be included on our mailing list);
- respond to any queries or feedback that you may have;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- prevent and detect any misuse of, or fraudulent activities involving, this site;
- conduct research and development in respect of our products and/or services and your future product or service needs;
- statistical purposes;
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs or obtain your feedback or views about our products and/or services and/or our website in order for us to improve them;
- personalise your online experience and help us to better respond to your individual needs; and/or
- conduct our internal business purposes such as maintaining and developing our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems, industry and non-industry specific reporting, administration of our services, notification to you about changes to our services, record-keeping following termination of our services to you and technical maintenance.
- and for any other purpose reasonably considered necessary or desirable by the Company in relation to the operation of our business and the provision of our services to you.
You can choose to opt out of receiving direct marketing communications by sending an email to HUG Homes’ Privacy Officer at [email protected] or using the opt out link or details provided in the direct marketing communication.
From time to time we may email our customers with news and information relating to our own products/services or those of selected partners. Your personal information may also be collected so that the Company can promote and market products and services to you. This is to keep you informed of products and services we believe you will find valuable and may continue after you cease acquiring products and services from us. If you would prefer not to receive direct marketing, promotional or other material from us, please let us know and we will respect your request.
You can unsubscribe from such communications at any time if you choose and we will include unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
WHEN WE MAY DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
For the purposes set out above, the Company may disclose your personal information to organisations outside the Company. Your personal information may be disclosed to these organisations only in relation to this site, and the Company takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information. These organisations may carry out or provide:
- customer enquiries;
- mailing systems;
- billing and debt-recovery functions;
- information technology services;
- marketing, telemarketing and sales services;
- statistical services;
- market research; and
- website usage analysis.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information:
- where we reasonably believe that the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious, immediate threat to someone’s health or safety or the public’s health and/or safety;
- to your authorised representatives or legal advisers (when requested by you to do so);
- to credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies;
- to credit providers (for credit-related purposes such as creditworthiness, credit rating, credit provision and financing);
- to our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- to government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law;
- to organisations who manage our business strategies, including those involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables) and those involved in managing our business risk and funding functions;
- to the police or other appropriate persons where your communication suggests possible illegal activity or harm to others; and
- to facilitate the provision of a service to you; or
- otherwise, where you have consented to its disclosure.
You have the right to request that we do not disclose your personal information. You can exercise your rights by unchecking any relevant check boxes on our website when you provide us with your personal information, or by writing to us at [email protected].
ANONYMITY AND PSEUDONYMITY
When requesting our services, HUG Homes will require you to disclose your personal information for the purpose of providing you with the requested service. You will only have the option of dealing with HUG Homes anonymously where it is practicable for us to deal with you acting anonymously or under a pseudonym, such as when you are making a general enquiry.
CONTACTING US ABOUT PRIVACY
If you would like more information about the way we manage personal information that we hold about you, or are concerned that we may have breached your privacy or misused your personal information, please contact us by email on [email protected] directed to the General Manager Administration or by post at Unit 1, 14 Pitt Way, Booragoon, Western Australia, 6154 or via our Online Contact Form.
We take all complaints very seriously. It is our policy to handle complaints in a timely, effective, fair and consistent manner. If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
If you wish to read more information on privacy legislation or the Australian Privacy Principles we recommend that you visit the website of the office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.
Access to your personal information
In most cases, you may have access to personal information that we hold about you. We will handle requests for access to your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles. All requests for access to your personal information must be directed to the General Manager Administration by email using the email address provided above or by writing to us at our postal address. We will deal with all requests for access to personal information as quickly as possible. Requests for a large amount of information, or information that is not currently in use, may require further time before a response can be given. We may charge you a fee for access if a cost is incurred by us in order to retrieve your information, but in no case will we charge you a fee for your application for access.
In some cases, we may refuse to give you access to personal information that we hold about you. This may include circumstances where giving you access would:
- be unlawful (eg, where a record that contains personal information about you is subject to a claim for legal professional privilege by one of our contractual counterparties);
- have an unreasonable impact on another person’s privacy; or
- prejudice an investigation of unlawful activity.
We may also refuse access where the personal information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings.
If we refuse to give you access, we will provide you with reasons for our refusal.
Correcting your personal information
We are committed to and take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect from our customers, clients and website users is accurate, complete, appropriate and up-to-date.
We will amend any personal information about you that is held by us and that is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date if you request us to do so. Verification of identity is required with a request to access (or update) personal information so that we can ensure your personal information is disclosed to, and updated only by, you.
If we disagree with your view about the accuracy, completeness or currency of a record of your personal information that is held by us, and you ask us to associate with that record a statement that you have a contrary view, we will take reasonable steps to do so. If we refuse to amend personal information held about you by us, or we fail to do so in the manner requested, then we will provide reasons for such refusal.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Firewalls, anti-virus software and email filters, as well as passwords, protect all of our electronic information. Likewise, we take all reasonable measures to ensure the security of hard-copy information.
HUG Homes encourages you to be careful and responsible whenever accessing and navigating any online websites. You are responsible for keeping your passwords and/or account information secret.
We will only keep your information for as long as is reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes for which your personal information was originally collected.
We will delete, destroy and/or de-identify your personal information after a reasonable time. You may be required to re-enter your personal information if it has been deleted.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ads Settings page (https://www.google.com/settings/ads). Facebook has enabled an AdChoices link that enables you to opt out of targeted advertising.
* * * *
If you require any further information about the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles, you can visit the Federal Privacy Commissioner’s website (see www.privacy.gov.au).